I opened up my newsreader app this morning and I shut it down after ten seconds of feed overload. I use Newsfire for OS X. I bought and paid for the program about a year ago. At first, I added feeds like crazy ... NY Times, Engadget, iLounge, etc. Since then, I've barely checked it at all. I think the prospect of sorting through so many RSS feeds has just been unattractive.
As part of GTD regimen, I decided to see if I could use RSS in a responsible way to streamline my surfing as well as get USEFUL notifications from sites I use for organization (like Backpack).We of the ADD persuasion have a bad habit of starting from square one on an unfinished project if it's not going our way. This scorched-earth thinking has proved disasterous for many of us. I've worked hard to overcome this. But I read some advice at 43folders today that made a lot of sense.
Merlin wrote:
Well, one of the reasons I ended up deleting all my RSS feeds last month was the fact that my collection had become a disorganized travesty consisting largely of things I’d stopped reading, packages that had been delivered weeks ago, and comment threads that hadn’t seen a new addition in months. Noise, noise, noise, and it’s all down to me to delete the junk one feed at the time. Screw that. Reset.
So that's just what I did. I'll let you know how it's worked out in a few days.
Carlo

No comments:
Post a Comment